Category Archives: Community

Articles based on community feedback, or to promote discussion among the community.

Around the Network

Ten days until Christmas! Are you ready? I am, after a flurry of Amazon shopping earlier.

I’m likely going to be taking a few days off from MoeGamer during the holiday season, so from the week after next onwards (i.e. the week that begins with Christmas) updates may be a little intermittent, but I’ll be back on a normal schedule by the new year at the very latest. And with any luck, if my Christmas plans come to fruition, there may be a very special “Episode X” of The MoeGamer Podcast to enjoy — though no promises in that regard just yet.

Anyway, that’s all in the future. What’s been happening in the immediate past? Hit the jump to see what you might have missed this week.

Continue reading Around the Network

Around the Network

I actually remembered to do this on Saturday like I’m “supposed” to this week. Go me!

Well, Christmas is well and truly on the way now. The MoeGamer Awards 2018 are underway, celebrating the games and experiences I’ve had over the course of the last year, my house is festooned with decorations (Patrons will know all about this already!) and Super Smash Bros. Ultimate is out.

Life ticks ever onwards, however. Hit the jump to see what you might have missed this week.

Around the Network

Hello again, dear reader. Are you ready for Christmas? I’m not. But then it’s only just December, so despite what popular culture and The Shops would have you believe, it’s only just now getting into the Christmas period.

I’ve been working hard to get the Project Zero series done and dusted and I’m pleased and proud to say that it is finally done! This week saw the final installment of the articles about this fascinating and unusual survival horror series, and I’m delighted that I’ve finally taken the time to enjoy it in its entirety — and will be continuing to enjoy its various postgames over the course of the New Game Plus video series.

That now leaves me some free time for the MoeGamer Awards 2018 throughout December — I still want your suggestions, by the way! — as well as the opportunity to get a head start on whatever I’ll be covering next year. Question is… where to begin?

Looking Forward

I’m still beavering away on the fifth Project Zero game to finish off this current (rather longer than anticipated!) Cover Game feature, so I thought now would be a fine time for an update and a look forward to 2019.

In particular, I wanted to highlight (and in some cases reiterate) my plans for the site as a whole, share a few things I’m interested in looking at in detail next year, and hear what you might be most interested in seeing over the course of 2019, too.

So let’s take those things one at a time after the jump!

Continue reading Looking Forward

I Want Your Help with The MoeGamer Awards 2018!

[Note 02/01/2019: With it now being 2019 at the time of writing, submissions for this are now closed, obviously! Watch out for something similar in late November this year if you have some bright ideas.]

Last year, I devoted December to a series of “alternative awards”, and I’m planning to do the same thing this year.

The MoeGamer Awards provide me with the opportunity to review what we’ve been exploring over the course of the previous year, highlight some things I feel should have had a bit more attention and exposure and just have a bit of fun looking back over the year gone by.

A lot of the fun last year came from the readers getting involved by suggesting awards categories… so if you’d like to give me some ideas this year, read on and leave me a comment with an idea for a 2018 award!

Continue reading I Want Your Help with The MoeGamer Awards 2018!

The Top 5 Creepiest Enemies from Japanese Video Games

No, don’t worry, MoeGamer isn’t becoming a clickbait listicle site!

I was approached by the charming and delightful Luminous Mongoose recently about producing a collaborative post on the subject of creepy enemies in Japanese video games. It is spoopy October, after all, and moreover this month’s Cover Game certainly offers plenty in the underpants-soiling department.

So with that in mind, hit the jump for the first part of this list, and check out Lumi’s site Otaku Essays and Analyses for the rest!

Continue reading The Top 5 Creepiest Enemies from Japanese Video Games

The Importance of Preservation

In case you missed the news, one of the biggest and most long-running sources for emulators and ROM files on the Internet, EmuParadise, has announced that it is undergoing some changes.

Specifically, the site will no longer be providing games for people to download free of charge; it will be continuing to maintain its database of emulators and hosting its community features, but the main draw for many — the extensive catalogue of ROMs for a variety of systems — has gone away, with every download link now leading to a page which states “this game is unavailable”.

I’m sure I don’t have to tell you that this is emphatically a bad thing. But let’s talk about it anyway.

Continue reading The Importance of Preservation

Brotherhood of the World Bloggers Award

There’s gaming stuff coming a little later today, but for now it’s time for another Community post!

The charming and attractive Arthifis was good enough to nominate me for the “Brotherhood of the World Bloggers Award”, and these things are always a good bit of fun, so I thought I’d indulge.

For the uninitiated, these “Award” posts are primarily an excuse for those of us with itchy typing fingers to cross-promote each other, get to know one other a bit better and also to let you, dear reader, find out a bit more about us. So without further ado, let’s begin this round.

Continue reading Brotherhood of the World Bloggers Award

The “Build a Harem” Tag

It’s been a while since a Community tag post, so let’s let our hair down a bit, since the ever-charming Raistlin was kind enough to nominate me with some very nice words!

This particular tag originated from Cactus Matt over at the excellent Anime Q and A blog — he’s a frequent collaborator with a number of other excellent anime bloggers (some of whom I highlighted last week — more of those to come since I didn’t have time to mention everyone!) and his “20 Questions” format for his reviews is an excellent twist on the usual formula. Go check him out!

As is probably self-evident, this particular tag revolves around, well, building a harem. So hit the jump to find out more and check out my picks!

Continue reading The “Build a Harem” Tag

#followfriday: Some Content Creators I Love

There are lots of wonderfully talented people on the Internet!

These days I tend to find that it’s passionate individuals, not commercial, corporate sites, that provide the most interesting and enlightening content about the things I’m into. The people who do it for the love rather than for the metrics.

Whether it’s posting informative articles about anime, entertaining videos about gaming or interacting directly with their community by streaming, I thought it was high time I shared some of my favourite content creators with you. Hit the jump for a non-exhaustive (just in case I forget someone!) list, in no particular order.

Continue reading #followfriday: Some Content Creators I Love