Category Archives: Community

Articles based on community feedback, or to promote discussion among the community.

Four Years of MoeGamer, 37 Years of Pete

It’s my birthday! More importantly, it’s also MoeGamer’s birthday. Buy us presents! (You don’t have to do that. But I’m not going to stop you if you want to.)

Ahem. Anyway, yes, it is indeed the fourth anniversary of MoeGamer’s inception. I’ve told the story of how the site came about numerous times — most notably in last year’s birthday post — so I won’t reiterate that here. Instead I wanted to take stock of the year that’s gone by and thank you all for continuing to support my work.

It’s been an interesting year, for sure — and a very good one, both for me, and for the site. So that’s nice! Let’s look at it all in more detail.

Continue reading Four Years of MoeGamer, 37 Years of Pete

The One-Liner Challenge

Time for a Community tag post! This one looked like a particularly fun one, and after the lovely Irina from I Drink and Watch Anime specifically requested me to do one about games, who was I to refuse?

The original tag came from The Awkward Book Blogger and was based around, as you might expect, books — but it has since expanded to encompass anime and now, thanks to my contribution, games as well.

So let’s jump right in. After the jump. Jumpy jumpy jump.

Continue reading The One-Liner Challenge

On the Age-Old Question of Video Game Violence

Over at The Well-Red Mage, which you should really be reading if you enjoy thoughtful and well-considered writing about games without sociopolitical showboating, the Mage posed an interesting question.

It’s one we’ve been over many times since the medium’s inception, and yet at the time of writing, it’s once again a hot topic thanks to recent gun-related atrocities and the surrounding discussions.

So let’s talk about it a bit. I am, of course, no expert on psychology, so I’m not going to speak for anyone else; instead, I’m primarily going to focus on my own experiences here, and contemplate how they perhaps came to be. Feel free to weigh in with your own thoughts in the comments, and be sure to drop by the Mage’s site to see some other takes on the matter.

Continue reading On the Age-Old Question of Video Game Violence

Continue, Don’t Quit : You Are Not in This Alone

There’ll be a full post coming later today, but I wanted to share this as I feel it’s super-important.

I have struggled with depression, anxiety and even suicidal thoughts at times, and I know it has always helped me — and even brought me back from “the brink” — to have someone to talk to.

So this initiative set in place by some of my favourite anibloggers really touched me. Please read Auri’s post, and, if you’re hurting and need help… please reach out to someone, whether it’s me, or any one of the others who have offered their support.

You can contact me via Twitter at https://twitter.com/MoeGamer or via my site https://moegamer.net/contact — or check out any of the other people who have put themselves forward for this by reading Auri’s original post.

Thank you for setting this up, everyone; I feel that a lot of people out there will benefit just from knowing this exists.

Game Chasing: The Retro Hut, Southampton

Although “gaming YouTubers” have been around for a good few years now, I’ve only really started exploring their work in earnest recently.

One of the channels I’ve grown to be particularly fond of in the last couple of months is The Game Chasers, where two friends named Billy and Jay, who have known each other since the ’90s, travel around various flea markets and game stores in search of retro video games to add to their collection. Their headline videos are inspired by TV shows such as American Pickers, but they’ve carved out their own identity over time and have established themselves as an immensely entertaining channel that is a bit different from your usual Let’s Players and suchlike.

One thing I frequently find myself feeling while watching their videos, however, is a slight pang of jealousy at the awesome retro gaming stores they seemingly have within reasonably easy reach of them. So I was very interested to discover by accident that there is actually a store like this in my neck of the woods. Naturally, I went to investigate.

Continue reading Game Chasing: The Retro Hut, Southampton

Blogger Recognition Award

Community is important. I’ve known this for a while, of course — I think most people know it on one level or another — but I want to make more of an effort to be part of something bigger with MoeGamer here.

I started this process towards the end of last year with some more active engagement with a number of other WordPress bloggers who are passionate about similar things to me, and, of course, I have a love-it, hate-it relationship with Twitter. I’d like to take things a little further, though, so expect more Community-themed posts here on MoeGamer going forward as I give some love and acknowledgement to the many talented people out there working hard on their own creative endeavours, just like I am with this little corner of the Internet.

A good place to start, I feel, would be by responding to the Blogger Recognition Award that Arthifis of Arthifis’ Place nominated me for earlier today, so let’s do just that!

Continue reading Blogger Recognition Award

New Year Well-Wishes, and a Look Back on an Interesting 2017

A slightly early “happy new year”, everyone! I was originally going to post this at midnight but figured no-one would actually read it then, so I’m posting it now to go with all the other people posting 2017 roundup threads on Twitter and suchlike.

It’s been an interesting year and, I’m pleased to say, one that has been overall very positive, which is a very nice contrast to the numerous challenges I’ve encountered over the course of… well, probably the last seven years or so, now.

As such, I wanted to make this post a bit of a personal one to look back over the last year, to celebrate the things that went well, and to look forward to what 2018 holds. Regular gaming coverage will continue on Tuesday!

Continue reading New Year Well-Wishes, and a Look Back on an Interesting 2017

Midori’s First Fanart!

Just a quickie for now, a full article coming later — but I wanted to share this.

My good buddy Chris “MrGilderPixels” Caskie has been beavering away on a piece of Midori fanart, and it’s finally ready to share with the world! Check it out, I love it to bits.

2017-12-28-moegamer-midori-poster-2017928Chris makes pixel art in both the physical and digital realms, including lovely wooden pixel art wall plaques and standees. Check out his site for updates on his various projects’ progress, and order some of his past work or commission yourself a pixel art avatar on his Etsy shop.

A Very Merry Christmas!

Christmas is coming! Hopefully most of you have had your last day of work before the holidays by now.

I have, which is why I’m taking a (hopefully well-earned) few days off for the holidays. I’ll be back with more awards on the 27th of December.

I just wanted to take this opportunity to say a huge thank you to everyone who has supported MoeGamer this year, whether it’s through likes, comments, shares, Patreon pledges or cups of coffee.

It’s been a genuinely great year for the site with a ton of growth in my readership, some refinements to my format and a bunch of additional site functionality. I hope I don’t sound too arrogant if I say I’m really proud of what I’ve created here, and it makes me extremely happy to know that other people are enjoying it.

I’m looking forward to what the coming year holds, and I hope you enjoy what you see on the site. For now, I wish you all a very restful and enjoyable holiday season, and I hope Santa is good to you.

Big love,
Pete Davison

The MoeGamer Awards: Help Wanted!

December is almost upon us, and that means Christmas is coming!

With that in mind, I’m going to hold off on Cover Game features for December, since the month is looking to be fairly chaotic with a combination of things at my day job plus the usual family visits around the main festive period. Normal business will resume in January.

This doesn’t mean I’m not going to write anything, however! I had a bright idea for something fun to do earlier today. And I’d like your help in preparing for it! (EDIT: Suggestions are now closed. Thanks to those who participated!)

Continue reading The MoeGamer Awards: Help Wanted!