Ace Attorney for the over-thirties. Root Letter is a mysterious, pleasantly contemplative visual novel about attempting to track down your old pen pal from years past and discovering some dark secrets in the process.
Developer: Kadokawa Games
Available on: PS4, Vita, Windows PC
Articles about Root Letter
Tips and Tricks
Here’s how to get all the endings — which one you get is based on your “P.S.” replies to the letters in each chapter. Note that not all endings are available on your first playthrough — additional ones will unlock once you clear the game once.
There are a few combinations that lead to each ending, but these ones work. Note that you’ll have to play Chapter 8 in its entirety on each playthrough, but in all other cases after your initial run you can use the “Skip” function on your smartphone to skip the chapter after you’ve sent the letter. Chapter 9 and 10 will be different for each route.
Cursed Letter, Princess of Himegamori Forest and A Government Plot are regarded as “bad” endings. Crossing Paths is the “normal” ending. Bonds of Marriage is the “true” ending so you might want to save that one for last.
- Chapter 1: Reading / Do you like to read?
- Chapter 2: I think I’d like to explore old ruins / Are there any spooky stories about Shimane?
- Chapter 3: I don’t want to become an adult / Do you want to become an adult soon?
- Chapter 4: Girls seem self-centred / What do you think of your personality?
- Chapter 5: Nature / Do you believe in ghosts?
- Chapter 6: Long, black hair is beautiful / Do you like black hair?
- Chapter 7: Right now I enjoy doing stuff with friends / Where do you go to hang out with your friends?
The Princess of Himegamori Forest
- Chapter 1: Walking aorund the shrine / Do you like folklore?
- Chapter 2: I think I’ll research history / Were there any famous warriors from Shimane?
- Chapter 3: I don’t want to have ideals / What do you think of selfish people?
- Chapter 4: I like girls / What do you think of men from history?
- Chapter 5: Ancestors / What kinds of times do you enjoy?
- Chapter 6: Mysterious and beautiful people / Are you interested in studying folklore?
- Chapter 7: Right now I’m concentrating on studying / How do you study history?
A Government Plot
- Chapter 1: Go for a walk / Do you believe in aliens?
- Chapter 2: I think I’d like to see a meteor shower / Is there a good view of the stars in Shimane?
- Chapter 3: My ideal adult is rich / Do you like rich people?
- Chapter 4: I don’t care about gender or nationality / Do you like aliens?
- Chapter 5: Money / Are you interested in making money?
- Chapter 6: Girls with nice figures / Please tell me your measurements
- Chapter 7: I can’t focus by myself / Where do people go on dates in Matsue?
- Chapter 1: Go play / Do you like sports?
- Chapter 2: I think I’d like to participate in a school function / What kinds of events are popular in Shimane?
- Chapter 3: My ideal adult is someone who has dreams / What kind of adult do you want to become?
- Chapter 4: Friendship between men and women is wonderful / Do you think men and women can be friends?
- Chapter 5: Kindness / Tell me about your personality
- Chapter 6: People who are fun / What kind of people do you like?
- Chapter 7: There is someone on my mind / Aya, is there someone you like?
Bonds of Marriage
- Chapter 1: Go on a day trip / Do you like traveling?
- Chapter 2: I think I’d like to take on different challenges / Is there some challenges you’d like to take on?
- Chapter 3: My ideal adult is my dad / Aya, what’s your ideal adult?
- Chapter 4: Men and women can be friends / Is there someone you’ve let into your heart?
- Chapter 5: Encounters / Have you had any special encounters?
- Chapter 6: People with complementary personalities / Do you believe in destiny?
- Chapter 7: I have feelings for you, Aya / I want to know more about you, I guess.