Category Archives: Community

Articles based on community feedback, or to promote discussion among the community.

Hololive English: Examining a Worldwide Phenomenon

Over the weekend of the 12-13 September 2020, the world was treated to the debut streams of “HoloMyth”, a group of five virtual YouTubers specifically designed to entertain the English-speaking online community.

HoloMyth, or Hololive English as they’re also known, are part of the rapidly growing Hololive agency run by Japanese “virtual entertainment” company Cover Corporation. To date, the numerous Hololive virtual YouTubers have been primarily aimed at the Asian market, though several of them have enjoyed breakout worldwide success thanks to the efforts of community subtitlers — and the talent’s own enthusiasm to embrace their overseas viewers.

Hololive English demonstrates that Cover Corporation is very much aware of the international enthusiasm for virtual YouTubers, and is keen to provide entertainment to that market. It just makes good business sense, after all — but is it worth English speakers finally diving down that rabbit hole if they haven’t already? Let’s take a closer look.

Continue reading Hololive English: Examining a Worldwide Phenomenon

Around the Network

Good afternoon everyone! Hope you’re having a pleasant Sunday. I stayed up much later than I should have done last night watching the debut streams for Hololive English, but I’m glad I did; the whole day was just utterly joyful.

I am suffering a little bit for it today, but at least it’s not a working day, so I can take the time to recover a bit before returning to the day job duties tomorrow. It was definitely worth it; I hope those girls have a great future ahead of them, as they were all a delight to spend time with yesterday.

Anyway, enough talk about virtual people who straddle the line between “existing” and “not really existing”, let’s take a look at what you might have missed in the last week!

Continue reading Around the Network

Around the Network

Welcome, one and all, to the regular (when I remember) weekly roundup of all things from around both my own creative projects, and the broader creative community.

I’ve had a few days off from the day job this week, so I’ve been able to get well ahead of schedule with upcoming videos. If you missed the announcement on YouTube, I’ve also taken the sad but necessary step of hitting “pause” on long, multi-episode playthroughs; while I do think the Final Fantasy Marathon is a noble goal, it was just burning me out, and I’m enjoying doing the one-shot variety stuff a lot more.

I’m already feeling the benefit that taking that particular weight off my mind has provided, though, and I’m not saying long-form playthroughs will never return — just not for now. Anyway, in the meantime, let’s catch up on what you might have missed in the last week or so.

Around the Network

Good evening everyone, and I hope those of you in the idiot-infested United Kingdom are looking forward to a bank holiday tomorrow.

As always, there’s been plenty going on around here, and I haven’t even had to leave the house to do any of it. Just the ticket during these difficult times, I’m sure you’ll agree — so I hope the things I’ve made bring you some entertainment if you, too, have been stuck in your home.

Hit the jump and let’s catch up on what you might have missed in the last week.

Around the Network

Good evening everyone, and I hope you’ve had a pleasant weekend. I upgraded my computer today, making me part of the $2.6 billion that will be spent worldwide to play the new Microsoft Flight Simulator.

Anyway, aside from that, I’ve been getting up to my usual tricks — writing stuff, making videos and recording a podcast, which will be in your eyeholes and lugholes to enjoy tomorrow at some point. Watch out for it — it’s a cracker.

In the meantime, though, let’s take a look at what you might have missed in the last week!

Nutaku: Destigmatising and Democratising Adult Video Games

Nutaku, if you’re unfamiliar, is a Canadian adult gaming website that launched in December of 2014 and quickly racked up a million registered users within its first year of operation.

Over the course of the following five years, that number has exploded to over fifty million — and the platform has big plans for the future.

I had the good fortune to spend some time picking the brain of company representatives (who wished to remain anonymous) on the subject of these plans — and the platform’s place in the growing adult gaming sector. Read on to find out more!

NSFW images ahead. You can also go ahead and assume that all links are NSFW as a pretty safe bet!

Continue reading Nutaku: Destigmatising and Democratising Adult Video Games

Around the Network

Hello everyone! It’s Sunday night, so I thought I’d get this done before heading to bed, and perhaps to provide some of you with some afternoon or evening reading, depending on where in the world you are.

The Atelier MegaFeature is continuing apace; we wrapped up Mana Khemia 2: Fall of Alchemy this week and will be moving on to the four games of the Arland trilogy next. Yes, I’m going to cover Lulua as part of the Arland series rather than playing it in release order; I’ll be interested to see the narrative context when playing them all in succession, because I know both Atelier Totori and Atelier Meruru certainly both benefited from having their respective predecessors fresh in my mind when I originally played them.

Anyway, that’s a discussion for another day. For now, it’s time to check out what you might have missed in the last week. Hit the jump and let’s go!

I’m Not Okay: Speaking Frankly About Mental Health, Frustration and Ambition

Hello, dear readers. I’m going to take you a bit “behind the curtain” today, as there are some things I need to talk about for the sake of my own wellbeing.

Oddly enough, the last time I talked about this stuff was at roughly the same time last year, so I’m not sure if there’s something in the air in August or what… but regardless, apologies in advance if I end up going over any of the same ground, which I probably will.

Normal business will resume tomorrow, but for today… indulge me if you will, please. These things are important to talk about.

Continue reading I’m Not Okay: Speaking Frankly About Mental Health, Frustration and Ambition

Around the Network

Good afternoon! I spent my weekend frantically playing a game for (paid) review, so didn’t find time to do this then. Also it’s hot. Really hot. And I don’t want to do anything that involves the slightest bit of activity.

Not that sitting on my arse typing some nonsense really counts as “activity”, of course, but you know what I mean. We’ve reached a point here where the heat, humidity and general airlessness is borderline anxiety-inducing; it actually feels like the world is trying to suffocate me at times.

On that cheery note, then, let’s look at what you might have missed in the last week!