Category Archives: Community

Articles based on community feedback, or to promote discussion among the community.

Around the Network

Another week has passed us by! It’s been a pretty good week for me; I’ve been on holiday from the day job, and I’ve been using the time to get ahead of schedule on a bunch of projects.

Specifically, I’ve managed to get ahead of schedule on pretty much all of my video series, providing me with ample time to focus on written stuff in the meantime. I’ve got a Senran Kagura feature to finish, and then we’ll be moving on to something a little unusual that I’ve been looking forward to tackling for a while.

In the meantime, though, there is of course plenty that you might have missed in the last week — so let’s take a look at that!

Continue reading Around the Network

Around the Network

Hello everyone! Sorry this is much later than it usually is (again), but I’ve been keeping myself quite busy!

I’m just starting a week off from the day job, which you think would mean I have lots of time to spare… but I’ve set most of the time aside for getting well ahead of schedule on video series and articles, and as such I’ve spent the majority of today researching material for upcoming Atari A to Z videos!

That doesn’t mean there’s no time for the usual fun and games around here, mind, so let’s have a look at what you might have missed in the last week.

Around the Network

Hello everyone, apologies that this is a day later than usual, but the weekend was… trying, to say the least.

On the positive side, we recorded a new episode of The MoeGamer Podcast, which should be with you later today on both YouTube and Soundcloud, so please look forward to that; it was a very enjoyable discussion. On the unpleasant side, however, the news of independent games developer Alec Holowka’s passing and the circumstances surrounding his death had a fair amount of emotional resonance for me. I won’t get into the details of that right now, as it’s still a somewhat contentious issue, but I’ll just say that my thoughts and sympathies are with those who were close to Alec at this difficult time.

Anyway. Let’s turn our attention to cheerier things and have a look at what you might have missed last week.

Around the Network

Goodness me, the last couple of weeks have been some of MoeGamer’s best for a long time in terms of visitors. So a hearty “welcome” if you’re new around here!

I’m delighted that so many new people have come along to see what I’m up to; I’m perhaps less delighted about the circumstances which prompted such an influx of readers — as you’ll find out more about shortly — but at the very least, I hope those new readers have found a place where they can enjoy their favourite things without judgement or censure.

As you’ll know if you’ve been following for a while, I don’t have any great grand plans for MoeGamer to be a one-stop daily gaming resource — I don’t really do “news”, for example — but I do make a point of, at the very least, taking titles the mainstream press have treated like crap and giving them the respect they deserve. So stick around if you want to see more… and check out what you might have missed this week in this article!

We Need To Get Better At Talking About Sex

Sex is great and all, but have you tried talking about it?

This is something that the games industry in general appears to struggle greatly with, since adult gaming is still in a weird niche where it’s commonly understood to exist and is appreciated by its core audiences, but at the same time it’s still not particularly accepted by mainstream outlets, who will take every opportunity to deride and downplay it.

The latest of many examples at the time of writing was presented by Nathan Grayson of Kotaku, who derisively pointed out that “two of Steam’s top games last month were anime sex games” before going on to complain about creators catering to “straight men’s sexual fantasies”. But really this is a broader issue that has been worth talking about for some time. And now’s as good a time as any.

Continue reading We Need To Get Better At Talking About Sex

Around the Network

It’s been a great week for the site this week! If you’re a new reader, thank you for your support and a hearty welcome; if you’ve been around, hello again!

It’s late and I’ve been podcast editing all day, but I’ll do my best to be vaguely coherent before I pass out. Lots of things to go through and lots of things to look forward to in the coming weeks!

Let’s get right into the things you might have missed in the last week, then…

Around the Network

Evening all! It’s time for another weekly roundup and an update.

You may have noticed I haven’t yet kicked off a new Cover Game feature having finished the one on The Expression: AmrilatoThis is mostly down to the fact I’ve been a bit busy, tired and, frankly, depressed and anxious lately, and that’s put me a bit behind “schedule”, as it were. Hopefully this week, though, I’ll at least get the introduction to the next feature up, however — but I do want to finish the visual novel I’m currently enjoying first.

Anyway. Enough shop talk, let’s catch up on what you might have missed this week…

Around the Network

It’s been… kind of a tough week, but I won’t talk too much about that here, because there was a post on that very subject a few days back.

I’m muddling through as always, with plenty of stuff for you to read and watch this week, and hopefully things will pick up for me in the ol’ mental health department soon. Although looking around the things people I know have been posting recently, it seems like it’s been a pretty crappy time for a lot of people, so my sympathies if you, too, have been Dealing with Things.

Anyway. Without getting too wrapped up in all that, let’s check out what you might have missed this week.

A Personal Post: Depression and Ambition

Hello, dear reader. I feel like I’m stepping “out of character” a bit for this post, as it’s not the usual sort of thing I’d tend to post here. But I feel like I want… maybe even need to get a few things out of my head and onto the page.

Don’t worry, we’ll be back to something directly game-related later today, so if you’re just here for the games, feel free to skip this post and stop by this evening. But for those who are here as much for Pete the writer… no, Pete the person… as you are for MoeGamer the site about games, thank you in advance for indulging me and reading what I have to say.

Today I want to talk a bit about mental health, ambition, career and how, sometimes, it can feel like a struggle just existing in the modern world.

Continue reading A Personal Post: Depression and Ambition

Around the Network

Hello everyone! I’d say it’s been nice to relax for a weekend after last week’s Digitiser Live funtimes, but I’ve been recording and editing a new episode of The MoeGamer Podcast, so I’ve been busy this weekend too!

It should be a good episode, and I hope you like it. Chris and I sit down to talk about “vanishing point” racers — a subject close to my heart and not so close to Chris’ heart, so it makes for an interesting discussion, for sure.

In the meantime, why don’t we take a moment to check out what you might have missed in the last week or so?